Tuesday

Tea With Tammy Every Tuesday

The Patriarchs by Beth Moore








Did you read Genesis 11-14 this past week?  
Did you come up with the answers like me?  





1.  Read Hebrews 11:8, where did Abram think he was going? He didn't know. 
2.  What did the Lord do on behalf of "Abram's wife Sari? (Gen. 12:17) Struck the Pharaoh & his house with great plagues
3.  What kind of division developed between Abram and Lot? (Gen. 13:5-7) Not enough land/water for all their animals/people
4.  What was Abram called in Genesis 14:13?Abram the Hebrew
5.  Who was Melchizedek and what made him unique?  He was a great priest of God

She gave this name to the LORD who spoke to her:  "You are the God who sees me," for she said,  "I have now seen the One who sees me. "  (Gen. 16:13)

While reading Genesis 11-14, I discovered...God is merciful and good.  He will lead us to just he right place if we have faith and follow Him.  We should be interested in God's promises to Abraham because  as Galatians 3:8 says, "foreseeing that God would justify the Gentiles by faith....All the nations will be blessed because of you."  Also, the God of Glory didn't appear to Sarai.  She had nothing but Abram's word about their radical move.  We, women, are made to be nesters not wanderers...a rare woman wants to be wanderer.  We prefer purses to backpacks, porcelain to styrofoam.   Then to top it off when they reached Canaan a famine hit... historically, famine was an indictment against the land and it's people.  We can be sure the people of God to whom promises are made that we will be tested.  Only Jesus passed the doubt test. 
 Sarai was a beautiful woman and caught the Pharaoh's attention.  Abram said she was his sister...ooops.  But God had mercy on Sarai (and Abram) He sent plagues to the house of Pharaoh.  A pagan ruler had more integrity than a man of God....he questioned Abram and let Sarai  go.  Abram and Lot decided to split up because the land could not benefit both of their households.  


*** I tried to sum up the week in a paragraph.  As we study The Patriarchs I believe that we will find God wants us to learn from their mistakes, as well as, from their faith.  Leave your comments....What did you glean from this first week's passages??


Study these scriptures for next week:
1.  Through what questions did God Dialogue with Hagar (Gen. 16:8-14)?
2.  According to Genesis 17:2, what had the Lord come to Abram to do?
3.  What blessings were specifically spoken over Sarah in Genesis 17:15-16?
4.  What very specific prophecy did Sarah overhear in Genesis 18:10?
5.  How does Ephesians 4:18-19 partially explain the condition of Sodom?


Meet you in the parlor next Tuesday.

3 comments:

  1. I like your synopsis of the week. Interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melchizedek was also a king. Jesus is our high priest after the order of Melchizedek. How is that significant? Melchizedek's priesthood was not of the Aaronic line. It has no beginning or end. Just like Jesus our high priest. His priesthood is eternal. The AAronic priesthood was to come to an end with the curcifiction and reserection of Jesus who became the ultimate high priest.
    Joy Akin

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favorite verses about Abraham that have encouraged me in my Chrisitan walk are Heb.11:8-10 He obeyed, he went by faith, he didn't know where he was going, he left family, and why? "For he looked for a city(Heaven) which hath foundations, whose builder and maker is God." vs10 To Abraham life on earth was temporary

    I have applied some of what I have studied on Abraham to my own life. God called Abraham out of his country, from his kindred, from his father's house, and to a strange country. Not only am I to step out by faith if called, but I am not to step between God and my sons if anyone of them are called. As a mother I am not to cling and hold them back from God's calling.

    It is also refreshing to know Abrham was human like I am he had faith, but he also faltered as he did when he went to Eygpt and lied to Pharaoh. His failure doesn't give me an excuse to sin, but shows me no one is immune and can still be used by God.

    ReplyDelete